Being Your Personal Advocate
Listening carefully to your doctor and asking questions about a diagnosis or test results can help you get better care. But here’s the problem: Just when you should be paying close attention to what your doctor is saying, you may be stunned by the news you’ve received. That’s when having a personal patient advocate can help.
A health advocate is a hired professional who accompanies you to your appointments and asks questions, writes down information, and speaks up for you so you can better understand your illness and get the care you need.
Research shows that quality health care requires taking an active role in decisions about your care. If you’re facing a difficult medical decision, it’s a good idea to bring someone with you who can help focus on your care when you’re not fully up to it.
Having an advocate at medical appointments or during a hospital stay can ensure that you get the information you need to manage your health. Our Personal Patient Advocates understand the complicated healthcare system and our local community resources. It is our aim to help you navigate your way.
Services we offer to help you navigate your health conditions:
- Your health history will be gathered from you, your health professionals and family where appropriate after signing patient privacy (HIPAA) form. The information gathered will be used to build your personal health care plan.
- Assemble a master Medical reference binder for each client that includes relevant doctors, lab results and more so your healthcare information is always in one location.
- Finding the right doctor to care for you.
- Records review and discussion of current treatment plans.. are they working?
- Investigate and research treatment options for consideration by you and your health care professionals.
- Arrange, and help you prepare for medical and professional appointments and tests.
- Accompany you to medical appointments and tests to help relay any concerns or questions you may have.
- We understand medical language, complicated diagnoses and treatment plans. We explain these in a way that you can understand as many times as you need us to, helping you make better healthcare decisions.
- We will coordinate and communicate your health information and treatment plan to multiple health care providers. Our Advocates attend meetings on your behalf and ensure your whole healthcare team is on the same page and working together for your best possible outcome.
- Help manage the transition from a hospital to home ensuring continuity of care to avoid readmission.
- Thorough assessments of your home can keep you safe, reduce the risk of falls, and allows us to recommend partners to do the job right.
- House or pet sit while you are in the hospital.
- Coordinate your care needs with community and government resources.
- Provide care giver relief/support.
- Pain Management and Palliative Care Consulting – finding the right resources.
- Healthcare proxy and advance directive assistance.
- Help manage transition from a home to an assisted living facility and ensuring continuity of care.
- Finally, with your permission we will keep your family members updated on your healthcare journey.
This information is not intended in any way meant to treat, prescribe, or diagnosis any medical or emotional condition. The information on this web site or in any distributed e-mail does not in any way eliminate, substitute, or replace the advice and treatments prescribed by a qualified health care provider of medical or psychiatric care. The information / content on this web site or in any distributed e-mail is not intended to diagnosis, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. You should not use this information to diagnosis or treat any health problems, disease, or illness without consulting your own physician or other qualified healthcare professional. Please be advised that you must consult your physician immediately about any medical or psychological concerns or issues. Any links to this web site are provided solely as a customer service and convenience to you. We are not responsible for the content of any third party web site linked to or from this site. We are in no way responsible for reviewing, examining, or evaluating their offerings, content, or information. The use of any third party links, websites, and/or off-website pages is at your own risk. You agree that, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, that we will not be responsible or liable under any circumstances, for any interruption in business, system failures, malfunctions, or connectivity issues, computer viruses, corruption, destruction, or access disruptions in connection with the use of this site or while linking to or from any third party site, as well as any inaccuracies or omissions in content, or any events that are beyond our control. You agree and understand that it is your responsibility to consult with a qualified health care provider regarding any and all information or content found within this web site or any distributed e-mail prior to the use of said information and content.